I went to Ikea this morning and bought a bunch of stuff – a couple of frames, some organizers for the kitchen, a lamp for the spare bedroom… phew! A lot of things to do around here. We wanted to start painting the outdoor furniture today, but it didn’t work out. Oh well, we still have tomorrow, right? I know we want to have them finished by next weekend since we’re having another party. You might think we’re crazy since we just had one on Saturday, but I love having people over! It’s so much fun and we get to enjoy the outdoor area. Besides, why did we buy a house with such a big terrace if we’re not going to use it, right?
Anyway, like I mentioned yesterday, I have cookies and cream ice cream for you today! How this recipe came to be is actually a funny story – when my brother and I were younger, we got home from school one day and my mom, who’d just come from work, had forgotten her keys inside. Since my dad wasn’t coming until later, she took us out to lunch for pizza and ice cream; Haagen Dazs ice cream to be exact. And what flavor you might be wondering… well cookies and cream, obviously. My brother and I both started saying how much we liked it the minute we tried it… and so my mom replied, “This is really easy to make at home!”
That’s how the recipe was invented. You don’t need an ice cream maker, so please try it! I’m sure everyone will love it.
Cookies and Cream Ice CreamRecipe from my mom
- 4 eggs
- 4 Tbsp white sugar, separated
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 16-20 Oreos
- Separate the whites from the yolks into two different bowls.
- Beat the egg whites with 2 tablespoons of white sugar until it’s a meringue.
- Beat the yolks thoroughly until foamy and almost white.
- Beat the whipping cream in another bowl with the remaining 2 tablespoons of sugar until stiff peaks form.
- Cut up the Oreos into pieces (with your hands) and add them to the yolks.
- Carefully fold in the whipped cream and the meringue.
- Pour onto a container and freeze for several hours.