Our wedding is September 7th. I have a conference in Dallas September 14th. See the problem?
We were planning on leaving September 10th for our honeymoon, but that’s not going to be possible. But we don’t want to postpone it until after the conference, either. So we’re doing the next best thing: including the conference into the honeymoon. Since it only lasts a couple of days, I think it’ll work out!
That means we really need to choose what trip to take though. When they told me about the conference, we basically narrowed it down to two choices: Hawaii or the West Coast road trip. Hawaii would have been amazing – Tami even e-mailed me tons of info which made it seem like it was the perfect place for a honeymoon – but it was just too far away from Dallas (we need to take 3 planes to get to Dallas, plus another 3-4 more to get to Maui) and the plane tickets were quite expensive, so we decided to go the other route. We already took a road trip around part of Europe almost three years ago and it was so much fun!
The university will be paying (at least for part of) my plane ticket to Dallas, and they’ve told me that I need to book the ticket ASAP, so I’ve been in honeymoon-planning mode lately. (They told me that they’d pay for the ticket if I book it to/from Dallas, so I’d have to take an internal flight from LA to Dallas on the way back. I’ve checked prices and taking into account the hassle of one or even two additional flights I don’t know if it’s worth it, so if we choose to fly back directly from LA I’ll only present the bill for the way there). The plan right now is this one:
- Fly to Dallas September 13th. The conference starts Friday the 14th in the morning and finishes Saturday afternoon, so I’ve looked for flights Saturday evening. That means my boyfriend won’t be waiting for long while I’m at the conference – just a day and a half. I’m currently looking for a hotel with a pool so he can stay in if he wishes. We’ll also look into renting a car for the day on Friday in case he wants to do something on his own – any suggestions?
- Fly to Seattle Saturday September 15th in the evening. Visit Seattle for 2-3 days, get a rental car there and start driving south until we reach LA. I’ve thought about where to stop on the way, and so far I have: Portland, San Francisco, Sonoma County, Santa Barbara, and LA.
- I’d also love to stop in Yosemite for a day or two (because I’ve already been to all the other places and I’d really like to visit somewhere new) but it’s really not on the way, so I don’t know if it’s really feasible. I’d love your thoughts on this one. And I’d love to hear any suggestions you might have regarding where to stay in Yosemite (inside the park? outside?).
- Also, would you recommend dropping of the rental car when we arrive to SF and then picking up another one when we leave? I don’t think we’ll drive while we’re in the city and I’d love to avoid the parking fees, so this is probably the best option, but I’m not sure.