I still have to fix a few things around here (the last three posts have disappeared) but I hope everything else works fine. Thanks everyone for your patience! Switching servers was a pain but necessary, because the old company had been extremely unresponsive for several months now. Hopefully this one will turn out better.
So enough about boring server stuff, let’s talk about chocolate! This cake –which was actually the first thing I baked in the new oven– is delicious. Not in a typical chocolate layer cake kind of way, but in a this is so light and fluffy I could eat several slices way (which can be very dangerous, obviously). And since it doesn’t have flour, it’s naturally gluten free so you can serve it to your celiac friends for dessert. I hope you’ll give it a try, it was a big hit here. Then again, anything with chocolate usually is.
Flourless Chocolate CakeRecipe from Martha Stewart
- 6 Tbsp butter, plus a bit more for the pan
- 8 oz (225g) dark chocolate
- 6 large eggs, separated
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- Preheat oven to 275ºF (135ºC) and butter a 9 inch springform pan.
- Melt butter and chocolate; let it cool for a bit, and whisk in egg yolks.
- Beat egg whites until you have soft peaks; then add in white sugar slowly and beat until glossy stiff peaks form. Whisk about a fourth of the egg whites into the chocolate mixture, then fold in remaining egg whites carefully.
- Pour batter into pan, smooth it with a spatula, and bake for 45-50 minutes; until edges of the cake pull away from the pan and the center is just set. Let it cool on top of a wire rack and remove sides of the pan.
I hope you have a great weekend! We’re going to a couple of barbecues and since one of them is to celebrate my aunt’s birthday, I’ll be baking a trial cake so I’ll be able to try out a wedding cake recipe. What about you guys? Anything special planned for this weekend?