At long last! A year later, the outdoor “kitchen” area is done. It was almost done last year, except for one tiny detail: the doors. You might recall what I wanted the freestanding furniture to be like, something similar to this from Ikea:
Except in the following color scheme…
Well, I think we did a decent job!
I already explained last year more or less how we built the structure. I’m sorry I don’t have any plans for you, we sort of invented it as we went along. They’re definitely very sturdy though. So, the doors: instead of buying big pieces of plywood we decided to use the lumber we already had to save some money. We used the Kreg Jig to join three boards together for each door, and them cut them to size. That’s why you can see some vertical “seams”. Then I sanded everything down and stained them the same ebony color I used last year. We attached the hinges – they’re a special kind that go inside, that was one of my requirements, I didn’t want to see the hinges and finally put the doors in place.
When we went to attach the doors, we had to cut (more like shave) them a bit since they were a bit tighter than expected, and then I went back and retouched the stain once again. Adding the door handles was pretty easy, too: drill holes with the door already in place, screw them in, and that’s it.
We’re now officially ready for summer! I can’t wait to make a paella. Maybe some sangria, too. Oh and now that we’ve completed the two “pending” projects (the trunk and the doors) we’ve already started on the centerpieces for the wedding. I think they’ll be pretty easy to build, but sanding them and staining them all will be… interesting. I also wanted to let you know that I’m traveling to Berlin on Sunday for a conference and I’ll be there for a few days, so next week I’ll be blogging about the trip instead of my usual schedule. And I’m off to work on my presentation!