I’ve finally finished the recipe “magazine” I was writing to include in the USB drives as wedding favors on Wednesday evening. With the help of a couple of friends I also loaded them into all 70 drives – thankfully we don’t have hundreds of guests, otherwise it would’ve taken a lot longer than the hour or so that it took!
I have plans to pull it together and translate it into English, as well, but for now, I’ll keep on sharing recipes from it. Today’s recipe is a summery dessert: peach crostata. It’s basically a simple pie dough baked with sliced peaches inside it. Serve it warm with some vanilla ice cream and everyone will be begging for more.
For the dough
- 2 cups flour
- 3 Tbsp white sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 10.5 oz (300 g) butter, cold, and cut into small chunks
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 Tbsp ice cold water
For the “filling”
- 5-6 smallish peaches, ripe but not overly so
- 1 cup of blueberries (optional)
- Juice from half a lemon
- 2 Tbsp white sugar
- 2 Tbsp cornstarch
- 1 egg
- 2 Tbsp white sugar
- A splash of water
- Vanilla ice cream
- Mix the flour, sugar and salt in a big bowl. Add the butter and mix with your hands until dough is crumbly. Add the egg yolk and the cold water and keep kneading for a bit with your hands, until dough is homogenous. Form dough into a ball, wrap in plastic and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- While the dough rests in the fridge, prepare the filling. Peel and slice the peaches. Mix in with the blueberries if using them, the lemon juice, sugar and cornstarch. Let it rest for a while.
- Preheat oven to 375ºF or 190ºC. Roll the dough until 1/4″ inch thick approximately, set on top of the oven tray and fill with the peach/lemon juice mixture. Fold the edges over the peaches.
- Beat the egg with the sugar and a bit of water and wash over the edges of the dough. Bake for 45-50 minutes or until the dough is properly cooked.
We made this on Wednesday together with roast beef so I could photograph both recipes for the “magazine” and had some friends over to help us eat everything, and they were a hit. I hope you’ll give it a try someday. Have a great weekend everyone! Any big plans? We’re trying not to freak out over here because there’s still so much (wedding-related) stuff to do and only two weeks to go…