Can I get a Finally?! Because we’re finally done with the passthrough. We still have to add the doors, yes, but we can now live with it as-is and no longer have a continuous mess of dust and debris due to the various stages of this project. We started this at the end of January and it’s already mid-March, so needless to say I’m happy to have the kitchen back in order and the dining table in its place.
So, the trim. We knew we wanted it lacquered in white to match our doors and baseboards, thus we decided to make it out of MDF instead of solid wood. With that in mind, we went to a nearby wood/MDF warehouse to look for something that would work. The problem: we needed very specific lengths and widths (for the casing), which of course weren’t available. In the end, we decided to buy several MDF strips and cut them ourselves (both lengthwise and crosswise). For some reason the man at the warehouse was convinced we were going to have a carpenter cut it down for us… which I thought was funny, because, if I’m going to have someone cut it down for me, do you think I’d be here figuring out a way to do this? Anyway. We bought several MDF strips and brought them home with us, for a total of 25€.
Once we were home we sort of forgot about it for a couple of weeks. Well, not really, life (and an injured shoulder) just got in the way. Until the weekend before last, when we were finally ready to put up that dang trim. The first thing we did was the casing. After measuring out the thickness of the wall, we cut the strips lengthwise to the required width for the casing. Then it was a matter of measuring each side carefully and cutting down crosswise at a 45º angle. We don’t have a miter saw nor a table saw, so Andoni did all of this veeery carefully with the circular saw. Thankfully it turned out great. The wall is made of brick and concrete, plus (and this was the primary reason) we have a ton of electrical wires, so we couldn’t nail the casing in place: we had to “glue” it instead (we used special wood silicone for this). But don’t worry, I promise you it’s stuck there for good even if we didn’t use any nails.
The upper side of the casing kept bowing so we improvised to keep it in place while the silicone worked its magic:
When the casing was in place we had to make the frame on both sides. Again, we first had to cut the MDF lengthwise. Then we marked where we wanted the frame to go (covering half the thickness of the casing), measured, and cut at a 45º angle. We made these 45º cuts manually, with this:
The reason for this is that we had had a terrible experience making those types of cuts for the outdoor kitchen countertop frames with our circular saw (I know that isn’t the saw you’re supposed to use, but it’s what we had/have…) so we decided a hand saw + the above invention would yield better results even if it took longer and more energy. We cut one side of the frame on both sides of the wall, glued them in place, and held them together with clamps. Trim: done!
Well, not quite, obviously. Afterwards it was just a matter of spackling where needed, sanding it down (you can see above it’s already spackled in the corners), and going to town with the lacquer. Unfortunately what I thought would be a two coat one day job turned into a four or five coat and three day job. But now that it’s done, here’s how it turned out:
Initially we wanted a wider trim but decided to go a narrower route because, on the kitchen side of the passthrough, there isn’t enough space for a lot more. And now I really like the narrow trim. Here’s the view from the kitchen:
I’m very, very happy with how this project turned out. Yes, it took a long time (and many steps), but it was so, so worth it. The kitchen feels so much more open now and so does the living room. It’s one of those things you have to see in person to notice the difference. So you’re all invited if you want to come and check it out.
And now for the very last step (and the optional one) of the project: the barn doors. We’ve already figured out a system and we’ll be picking up the materials this week. Can’t wait!
Oh and as you can see, I’ve added a new icon just below the menu and above the search bar: now that I’ve got a fancy new phone, I’m on Instagram, too!